Newburgh Priory

Back to Dine
Click here to contact us  call: 0845 450 4545
 

REQUEST A CALLBACK

Newburgh Priory

Newburgh Priory, a large and imposing house, stands on the site of an Augustinian priory, founded in 1145.

Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the property was acquired in 1541 by Anthony Belassis, one of Henry VIII's chaplains. He converted the priory into a Tudor mansion and today there are no signs of the original monastic buildings and church.

In the early-17th century Sir Henry Belassis enlarged and embellished the house. However, most of these alterations were covered by the work carried out by his descendant the 4th Viscount (later 1st Earl) of Fauconberg.

Through delicate iron gates is the huge stable block dating from 1725, then the house which faces north over the countryside and was built to the 16th century design of a hall block with projecting wings.

Newburgh Priory faces over a pastoral landscape, with a lake, distant hills and a water garden.