Victoria Quarter

Back to Dine
Click here to contact us  call: 0845 450 4545
 

REQUEST A CALLBACK

Victoria Quarter

Leeds' prestigious Victoria Quarter is now known as the Knightsbridge of the North. Visitors to Leeds often take the time to look up at the large stained glass window and the beautiful mosaic flooring - an elegant surrounding for any special event.

The buildings which house the Quarter are more than 100 years old. Vicar Lane was a mass of gruesome slaughter houses, butchers, fruit and veg stalls, while the western end of County Arcade housed The Bazaar. This occupied two floors - the lower level selling meat and the upper level trading in fancy goods and haberdashery.

The area continued to trade in that way, until it was cleared by the Leeds Estate around 1900. It was then that the famous theatre architect Frank Matcham, responsible for building more than 200 theatres and music halls, including the London Palladium and Coliseum, was brought in to design an elaborate Victorian arcade.

He used rich marbles, gilded mosaics, handsome cast and wrought iron, as well as carved and polished mahogany.

This is a splendid location for corporate events; guaranteed to make your invitation rather more interesting than the rest...